Saturday, October 31, 2015

 Ora Holland

 
Ora Holland at her 112th birthday party.
Ora Reed was born December 24, 1900 to Nathan and Stella Reed of Rosebud Missouri who recorded the event in the family Bible. “That's the way we did it back then. I never had a birth certificate.”  The third of twelve children, Ora attended school in a one room school house and suffered numerous health problems as a young girl. “They told me I wouldn't live to age 10, but look at me now!”  At age 22 she married Thomas Holland and had two children; one died at birth.  After 18 years of marriage, she and Thomas divorced and she never remarried. As a single mother with only an eighth grade education, she worked at a shipyard during World War II to make ends meet, stating, “I was Rosie the Riveter, but that was a long time ago”  Later she started and ran her own beauty shop for 12 years and then started her own childcare business which she operated for ten years. “It was a lot of work, but I did alright.”

Ora celebrated her 100th birthday by buying a new car which she used to drive herself to the store and to church each week until age 108. A policeman gave me a speeding ticket last year and I decided it was time for me to stop driving. Besides, I can't see like I used to.
At the time of this interview, Ora was 108 years old. Strong physically, mentally and fiercely independent, she was still living by herself in her own home, doing her own cooking, cleaning and even mowing the lawn! “I plan on doing for myself as long as the Lord will let me.”

You were a single mother and business owner with an 8th grade education. How did you learn to manage your money?
Well, I just learned, just like you learn. Somebody didn't poke it down you did they? You learn it by doing it. That's how everybody learns. When I left my husband, I got out without anything. That was way back when salaries wasn't much and we didn't have much either. My parents never helped me with a dime, but I was used to hard work; I was raised on a farm. So I went and found a job in the shipyards and finally started making some money. It wasn't much, but it was enough to get by. Then once you get it, just don't spend it. You best start saving it. You know, when salaries were good, people thought their money was going to last forever. They spent it instead of putting it in the bank and saving it for a rainy day. That's why so many people today are in trouble and wondering if they're going to lose their homes, because they didn't save their money.

I've got a couple of grandchildren that's doing the same thing and I'm having to help them. My granddaughter and her husband own three cars. That's not necessary....not necessary at all. Then my grandson bought a new car and then bought this great big television. They need that like I need a hole in the head! They need to learn to save their money instead of just blowing it on everything that they see and want. They don't need all of those things.
What are they going to have in the future? They're going to be in trouble need help and Grandma's going to be gone. You've got to learn to save money 'cause you never know what's going to happen or when you might need it. Trust me, I know!

After 108 years of living, what advice can you give me about making my life count?
Help others. That's what our Bible says, help others. Everybody needs a little help every now and then. It doesn't necessarily have to be money. During the depression, some folks needed food and clothing and such. Sometimes people just need someone to talk to.
I've been helping for a good many years. I guess is what I'm here for. We should all be willing help each other. That's what God says for us to do. If you want to live a good life, go find somebody to help.

You mentioned God. Do you believe in God?
I sure do. I know there's a God and Jesus is His son. He means everything to me. He's taken care of me my whole life. I guess when I was young I didn't think too much about God, not like I do today. I depend on Him. I'll tell you something, if you don't believe in God and believe that Jesus is His son, there's no use you do anything else. That is a must, to believe in God and Jesus, because if you don't, nothing else matters.

I don't think I've made it all these years by myself. I think He's there taking care of me. I think that as long as we do what He says for us to do, that He's going to watch out for us and take care of us until He's ready to take us home. He says none of us are perfect. I try to be honest with everybody but I know I haven't been perfect (laughs), but He loves me anyway. God's been helpful to me my whole life. He's helpful to everybody.... if they want help.

If you believe in God, then do you ever think about heaven?
Sure I think about it. Heaven's on my mind a lot of times. I'm not afraid of the hereafter, but just going through that death stage kind of worries me. I can't say that I'm really afraid of it, I just kind of dread going through the misery and all that stuff, but God will take care of me; He always has. One things for certain; we all die. There's no gettin' around it.
It might be a long time from now and it might be a short time. We just don't know....but you'd better be ready.

Recently (May, 2013), I was able to go visit Ora Holland again at the retirement center where she now lives. She is now 113 years old and is currently the 14th oldest living person in the world, and the 9th oldest living American. “I can't be that old.....I don't feel that old.” “How old do you feel”, I ask. She replied “I only feel about 105!”

Her daughter Ruth is now gone, along with the rest of her family. Her grandson looks after her now and visits often, but it is obvious that she longs for the old days. “I'm the only one left,” she states. It is sad to see her lonely, living in a place she'd rather not be. At 113, she still gets around be herself, but like her eyesight, her memory is fading. “I can't remember things like I used to,” she says, struggling to recall her husband's name.
It is hard to grasp the concept of living for 113 years. To put it in perspective, she has been alive for almost 1 million hours. She will reach that milestone January 21, 2015 which will make her one of the top 100 verified oldest of the 108 billion people born over the course of human history.1 She was born before the radio was invented, before plastic was invented, before Henry Ford produced the first car, before the Wright brothers flew the first airplane at Kittyhawk. She was a teenager when World War I broke out. The mode of transportation in her lifetime has gone from a horse and buggy to supersonic jets and space shuttles. That's a lot of changes in 113 years. It makes you wonder about the changes we'll see in our lifetimes.

Ora Holland passed away February 11, 2015 at the age of 114 years and 49 days. At the time of her death, she was the ninth oldest living American, and at the 15th oldest person in the world.2 You can learn more about Ora Holland at the links below. God bless you Ora, you were truly one of a kind.


Ora Holland and her daughter


1 http://www.sliceok.com/November-2014/Memories-of-a-Lifetime-The-Oldest-Oklahoman/
2Gerontology Research Group

No comments:

Post a Comment