Saturday, November 7, 2015

Frank Hurst

Francis John Hurst was born May 16, 1914 in Paris, France, two months before the outbreak of WWI.  Following the war, Frank and his family led a normal life, working and attending school. He graduated high school in 1932 and attended one year of college before going to work as a pilot, surveying and mapping western Africa.
“ I caught malaria and was pronounced dead two times!” In 1934, he moved to England where he met and married  his wife Lila.  When WWII broke out in 1939, Frank enlisted in the British army and was assigned to the British Army Intelligence Corp.  Due to his knowledge of the French language, culture and landscape, Frank became an aid to General Dwight Eisenhower and was instrumental in the planning and execution of the D-Day invasions.  Several days after D-Day, he parachuted into France to continue planning the allied invasion and the liberation of Paris.  “I'm not a hero.  I wasn't in combat, but I like to think that I helped save a few lives.”   Following the war, Frank went to work at Kodak Ltd.  In 1957, the company transferred him to Canada, where he continued to work until retiring.  In 2010, his wife Lila died after 76 years of marriage. 

You seem to be in a very good mood?
I've had a happy life. I've been very, very lucky. I don't think anyone could have had a better life than mine. I've had adventure, joy, sorrow; I've had everything. It's been good, and I'm so happy with my life now. I'm very, very fortunate, and I have quite a good philosophy of life I think.

What is that philosophy? Contentment. Taking things one day at a time and not getting too serious about unfortunate mishaps.

But a lot of people aren't happy with their life. What makes you so happy?
Because I accept life as it comes. I realize that I can't always be happy, but I try to make the best of it. I've always made the best of every circumstance I've been in, whether I've been in danger, or in personal situations or what have you. I've always tried to make the best of it. I've always taken the view that things could always be worse than what I'm in, but I don't worry about it. I take care of what I can, and what I can't take care of, to hell with it. (laughs) My philosophy is pretty simple. Take life as it comes, and enjoy it for what it is. And it's been the story of my life.

Did that philosophy help you when you wife died?
Oh very much so. When my wife passed away, that was hard. I didn't realize how much I was in love and how much I'd missed her. When she passed away, there was an immense void (pointing to his heart). I remember going to the funeral; that was terrible. I thought that was the end of everything. When I kneeled in front of her coffin, to me, it was the end of the world. I thought that was the end of my life. Then, the day after, I realized it wasn't.

How did you get through that?
I just took it one day at a time. It took me awhile, but gradually I adjusted. I began to realize that I was still around, and I had to make the best of my life. That's always been my attitude. I take the view that I am very fortunate to be alive. What has happened, has happened and there's nothing I can do about it....and what's going to happen, will happen. Like today, if something happens, I take the best that I can out of it. I don't dwell on the past and groan about my misfortune. What's the point of that? It is what it is. If I die tomorrow I've had a good life, if I live on, I'll still have a good life.

Do you have any regrets?
I've never consciously tried to do the wrong thing. I've never been cruel by intention, but I have unintentionally hurt people and I regret that. I had a very good marriage, but I was unfaithful. It was just a passing thing, you know. That was it, but I regret that now. I was ashamed because my wife was a very, very decent woman. She knew something was going on, but she never played around. Eventually, she forgave me and we had a very good relationship, but if I could go back, I wouldn't do it. I'd be faithful because I hurt her. All that did was hurt people.

To what do you attribute your long life?
I think what's kept me going is my attitude about life.....otherwise I'm sure I'd be dead by now.
I'm a very fortunate man in every way. I've got my wits, I've got my health, I've got good friends, I've got a nice girlfriend, my two daughters stay in touch with me.....I've got good relationships. I'm enjoying life. Philosophically, I take a positive look on life. You know, I've had some very happy moments and some very, very sad moments but they're part of life. I accept what comes and do the best I can with it. I'm very content with whats happened to me and what's coming to me. My health has been really good. I don't drink much, but I do like the odd nip. I think I was drunk once back in the army, and I was so sick I swore I'd never do it again. I'm very moderate with everything I do. I used to smoke, but not heavily. I eat what I like, but I don't eat things that are bad for me. My father lived to 102, and my mother lived to 97, so I've got good genes. I'm not worried about being sick. If I die tomorrow, I've had a good life. If I live another ten years, that's fine. I'm not worried about it. Que sera, sera...What will be, will be. Tomorrow is tomorrow. Today is today. All in all, I would be described as a very contented person. I'm happy up here. (pointing to his head) That's more important than down here (pointing to his heart), but I'm quiet happy here too. Mental attitude is what does it.... I think that's what keeps me going.

Do you ever think about dying?
Oh no. Not at all. I'm going to live forever (laughing). No....I never think about dying. Sometimes when I'm ill I feel concerned, but that's it. I've never thought about actually croaking. I think that's what's keeping me alive. I'm not worried what's going to happen to me tomorrow. Today is today, period. What happened yesterday, happened. Some was good, some not so good, but that's that, it happened and I can't change it. I'm fortunate to still be here, but if I drop dead tomorrow, I'll be smiling five minutes before (laughing)! Life has been good, and it continues to be good.... right down to the last minute.

Are you afraid of dying?
Nope! If I die tomorrow, I die tomorrow. That's it. Honestly I've had a very good life, and I'm very happy and I'm contented. I never think about either going to heaven, or down there (pointing downward). To me it will be just a termination, but I won't be thinking about where I'm going.

So do you believe in God?
Oh yeah. I don't consider myself a religious person but I have beliefs. I'm not a church goer per say.... but I'll go now and again....but I'm not registered as a member. I think you can be faithful without being religious. I think faith is God-made while religion is man-made. I've done some good things and some bad things but by and large I think I lived a very very good, interesting, happy life and I think I'll make it for a few more years (smiling).


Today, Frank lives in a retirement center in southern Ontario. “I have two daughters, three grandchildren and one great grandchild. I'm a very, very fortunate man.” Of all the people I have interviewed, I don't think I have ever met another person with such a positive mental attitude. His philosophy on life has fundamentally changed the way I view events in my own life. Let's face it, life happens.....and many times there is nothing we can do about it. The best we can hope for is to change the things we can, and accept the things we can't. Sometimes life is unfair, I can't change that, so all I can do is look for the best in each situation and move on. I know it sounds simpler than it really is, but Frank Hurst is proof that it works. Thank you, Frank, for the wisdom. You have changed my life.

Below is a link to an audio interview of Frank talking about World War II. It is definitely worth listening to.

http://www.thememoryproject.com/stories/1022:frank-j.-hurst/



No comments:

Post a Comment