Saturday, October 10, 2015

Rev. Otis Clark

 Otis Grandville Clark was born February 13, 1903, the son of a former slave.  He grew up on the black side of segregated Tulsa where he went to school and worked as a drugstore delivery boy. In 1921, Otis narrowly escaped harm in the infamous Tulsa race riots. “I got shot at. They killed my step-father; we never found his body. They killed my dog and burned our home down.” The Red Cross estimates that close to 300 were killed and over 10,000 left homeless by the riots.  Shortly after, Otis hopped a train for California where he found work as a movie extra and served as a butler to Hollywood celebrities such as Clark Gable, Charley Chaplain and Joan Crawford.  While serving a jail sentence in Los Angeles for bootlegging whiskey, Otis converted to Christianity which began a 90 year career in ministry.  He served at the well known Azusa Street Mission and became officially ordained as a minister in 1946. “I was about 21 when I married my first wife, Martha. I was married four times... 35 years in all. They all died. I had just one daughter; she died a while back. I never had no grandchildren”

What it was like growing up in a time of so much racial tension.
See we had in our little Tulsa town, we had trouble there, what you might call a little race riot. The whites just run the colored folk out of Tulsa. That was about 1921. I was about 18 and I was living with my grandparents. My father was in Kansas City, Missouri. I remember I went to visit my friend, Jackson, and I was standing behind him when he got shot. I had to run off and leave him; I was just trying to save my own life. They killed my step-father; we never found his body. They killed my dog and burned our home down. I tried to leave after that, but the white folks stopped me on the way out of town and made me get out of the car. They didn't shoot me; they just took my gun. I went to stay with my aunt, and later we heard that the Salvation Army and the Army folks came in and stopped the killing.

I don't know how to ask this, but how did you live in a world where people hated you just because of the color of your skin?
Tulsa was more or less an oil city...really the oil capital of the world at one time..and a lot of colored folks worked for them 'oil' folks and we got along nicely on our side of town, which was the north side, and the whites was on the south side. And to be perfectly honest with you, we got along nicely, up until the Klu Klux Klan and some others got jealous of us coloreds getting along as well as we was. That's when they started the race riots, and they burnt up our part of the city. Lot's of folk were killed.

How did you deal with that? Weren't you angry?
No, see we was young and didn't have sense enough to be angry (laughing). We didn't have that kind of sense. We couldn't do nothing 'bout it anyways. Things was different back then. We just had to run and get out of the way and keep from getting killed.

Looking back, how can you forgive those folks for what they did?
I don't think we should look back. All we can do is just forgive one another and try to straighten up whatever wrongs we have. I ain't perfect; I've messed up too, you know, and folks have forgiven me. That's what we've got to do, learn to forgive one another.

So what did you do after that?
My grandmother got a letter from my father that said he done gone to California. So me and my friend hopped on a train to Los Angeles and found my father was working for the movie folks. And that's how I got started with the movie folks. I started working for Joan Crawford and got acquainted with all the movie folks. I worked as a butler for Clark Gable, Charlie Chaplin too. They was what I called the sportin' folks. They was big time into dancin' and having fun, and I was pretty popular with 'em 'cause I was a whiskey maker....a moonshiner you see. That was back during Prohibition and I'd supply 'em with whiskey for all their parties. Some of them parties was $7000; they was big timers. Joan Crawford was what you might call one of the leading stars back then and she had a theater behind her home, and Clark Gable and Charlie Chaplin would come to her home for movies and parties and such. So I was working for the folks that had something, and so I got along nicely. The movie folks treated me real good. I worked there until I finally got converted.

What do you mean by “converted”?
I got arrested and put in jail for makin' moonshine whiskey. That was a dangerous deal. Back in the prohibition days, they'd give folks five and six years for a makin' a little whiskey, but the judge had mercy on me and gave me only 20 days in jail. On Saturdays the Salvation Army folks would come out and some of these white preachers would preach and sing to us prisoners. The first Saturday I didn't pay no mind cause I was looking for my gang, but my gang didn't show up! The next Saturday, the Salvation Army folks came out, and they preached and they sang, and I made up my mind that I'd get on God's side. I got converted in jail in Los Angeles. I was in my twenties..that was my first opportunity of actually hearing folks talk about God. I found out He's the boss of this whole thing.

So how do you get on God's side?
Repent. You have to repent for the wrongs you've done and be converted. That's what we call it in the Baptist Church. Repent and be converted and change from wrong to right. Quit your wrongs; quit your sins and get on God's side, and live right. But we Baptist folks allowed you to drink a little, we didn't make it too serious for you. You could do a little wrong and repent and it would be alright and so a lot of us followed that line.... that you were on God's side if you just belonged to a church. But I found out later that ain't right. See, the Devil comes along some how or another and makes us feel like it's alright to do wrong and a little wrong won't hurt us. And to tell the truth about it, we follow that line of the Devil more than the line of God. And I did that myself a long time; I followed the folks that thought it was alright to do a little wrong. But see, God's Bible tells us to repent and believe... “He that believes and is baptized shall be saved.” But you got to believe. See, we was baptized, but didn't believe. In other words, we did as we pleased in the Baptist church. But God has a written word which is the Bible and you got to go by it. See, we had the Bible and didn't go by it in the Baptist church. They would think you was crazy if you talked about being saved and sanctified. I learned that you got to believe and repent and follow God's word. We would talk it, but we didn't live it. Nobody really talked about living no sanctified life. But you got to really do it to be saved. I found that out after God really baptized me for real when I was in jail. That changed my life. It stopped me from doing the things I used to do. I tried to come back and tell the folks in the Baptist church about it and they thought I was crazy.
So how did you go about becoming a preacher?
I got with the leadin' folks of the Azusa Street Church down there in Los Angeles. They talked about baptism in the Holy Ghost, and I made up my mind that was the right way to go, and the Lord called me to go and tell other people. See, the Devil puts it in folks to cuss, tell lies, cheat and steal. He tells us it's alright to have a little of that and have a little bit of God. The whole world practices that. But God is pleading with us all the time to come to him. “Come to me the heavy laden and I will give you rest.” But in the world you can do as you please and you can say your holy and sanctified but you're really not. You have to love God more than you love the world. But the Devil has a lot of power in this world.

Do you think God directs our way through life?
In a way He does, but in another way He lets us have our own way. He tries to tell us what's right, but He leaves us to do whatever we want to do. We can follow right if we want to, or we can follow wrong, but He encourages us to do right. I did that myself a long time. I followed the folks that thought it was alright to do a little wrong. See the Devil comes along and makes us feel that a little wrong won't hurt us. But those 20 days in jail changed my whole life when them little Salvation Army folks came and told me about gettin' on the right side of God. See, God can even take the bad things in your life and turn 'em around into good.

Tell me how you've managed to live such a long, healthy and productive life.
That just slips up on ya! (laughing) I don't know why I'm living so long. I think it's because God wants me to tell the younger folk about being on His side. God is the one able to make you healthy and wealthy but the Devil tries to steal it from you and makes it hard for you. You gotta learn to stand firm. Wealth in God's way of thinking is more than money, it's good health, the ability to do what you want to do, to be physically wealthy.....and mentally wealthy..... able to think right and do right. Think right. God wants you to think on the good things.

You've got over 100 years of life experience. (Yeah). How can I make the most out of my life?
Live Holy. Holiness is righteousness in the heart, not just in the head. It's right to do right. “And none but the righteous shall see God.” If the Lord gets in your heart, you gonna do right because God is right. You can't help it; it becomes a part of you. Love others. Love is a great attribute. God wants us to love one another. You are God's child and He wants you to have what He has for you. Love is a mystery that the Devil hides even from the church. The Devil has cheated us out of the real love. The real love of God would make you treat one another right at any time, in any kind of condition. God is love, and we're supposed to show the love of God to others. Think right, live right and do right.......and love.

Otis Clark certainly made the most out of his life. As he sat in my living room during this interview, he filled our home and lives, no only with incredible stories and wisdom, but with love and life. This man was full of life, and he was contagious, spreading it into every life he touched. At ages 103 and 104, Otis traveled twice on mission trips to Zimbabwe, Africa. After this interview, Otis was leaving immediately, traveling to San Antonio to preach.....at 105 years old. At age 107 he traveled to the West Indies to change lives and at age 109 he went to Canada to continue spreading the Word. And, at the time of his death on May 21, 2013, at the age of 109, Otis Clark was planning a trip to preach the gospel in the country of Nigeria. Now that is optimism.

Otis' life has been the subject of numerous newspaper and magazine articles and TV interviews. He even has his own Wikipedia page. Below are a some links to a couple of these interviews. They are well worth viewing.


Of all the interviews I have done, no one has been more full of life and love than Otis Clark. I am humbled to have sat at his feet and learned.


 









Otis Clark, 108


No comments:

Post a Comment