Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Greta Cottrell was born on December 16, 1905. The last of five children, she was the youngest by 11 years, “I was quite a surprise”. After high school, she attended one year of college earning her teaching certificate and taught in a one room school house for one year before quitting at age 19 to marry Herb Woodson. After divorcing Herb three years later, she began singing with a 12-piece orchestra and was soon discovered by the recording industry. Greta recorded six albums during the roaring 20’s. She traveled the U.S. by train, singing in speak easy's and nightclubs during prohibition and in a touring variety show for RKO records. Greta was married a total of five times, outliving all her husbands but the first. All totaled, she was married for 68 years. She never had children.
 
You were married for 68 years, how did you make it work?
Well, I've had five husbands. I was married to Herbert for three years before we divorced, then Ernie....it was love at first sight with Ernie as far as I was concerned. We only knew each other six weeks but we were married for 33 years. When Ernie died I married Harry, he had a heart attack and died in his sleep 20 months after we got married. We went to a football game one day and the next morning he was gone. It was just awful. I was a widow again for two years and then I married Frank and we were married for almost five years before he died of cancer. Then I was a widow again for two years I guess, then I married Dale Heslet. We were married when we were 70 years old and we had 25 years together.

The secret to a good long marriage is trust. It requires some give and take and being able to communicate. And love.....lots of love. I don't have any children, I had two step-sons. We thought we were going to adopt twins but by the time we heard about them, they had been adopted by another family. It would have been nice to have had children; right now I wish I did, but I don't regret it. I was just so busy all my life.

You've outlived four husbands, how do you deal with losing a spouse?
Actually the worst thing that ever happened to me was losing my mother. I didn't lose her 'til after I lost Ernie. It's difficult losing a spouse, it makes you feel absolutely abandoned. When Ernie died I had friends that really took care of me. You just have to make up your mind to get through it. I developed the ability to put it behind me and look forward instead of mourning forever. I've known people that set the table for their departed husbands like he was going to be there for supper. That is just feeding on misery and doesn't do any good. That doesn't mean that I forget them, but I quit mourning and think about the wonderful times we had together instead. You have to look at it like it's a page in a book and you've turned that page.... a page in the book of life. I miss them and I pray for them every night....all of them. It's given me a completely different view of dying to where I have no fear of it anymore.

Do you ever think about dying?
Sure, I think about dying...I wish I would. I don't want to live forever. I'd just like to go before I run out of money (laughing). I don't want to outlive my finances and I don't want to live so long that I lose my mind. I see that here at the nursing home. I see these people in wheel chairs that don't know where they are, they don't know what they've eaten, they don't know anything. They're just kept alive by medication, and I don't want that. I just want to go. I'd rather go in my sleep if I had my druthers....just go to sleep and never wake up. I don't fear dying. I just feel like I'm going on to a better place. I believe what the Bible says, that we'll have eternal life.

So you believe in the Bible?
Oh yes, God is my best friend. I have conversations with Him. I don't get many answers from Him but I pray that He leads me in doing what He wants me to do. I believe that He has steered and guided my life, and I've had a wonderful life. I've had sorrow too, but that's just part of life. I think God had His hand in the middle of it all. I think He pulled me through all the sorrow.

What has 100 years of life taught you?
Life has taught me patience more than anything. Patience is a virtue. Everything will happen in it's own time. Learn to be patient and learn to forgive. Don't hold grudges. Be quick to say “I'm sorry” and quick to forgive....whether they apologize or not. And forgiveness in a marriage is especially important. You know, they always said if you're married, don't go to bed mad; make up before you go to bed. Well, I think that's true.

So, being a cancer survivor yourself, what advice do you have for someone battling cancer?
I've had cancer; I've had a breast removed, but I was lucky they got it all. They took 16 lymph nodes and they got it in time. It didn't spread anywhere else, but I never had to take chemo or radiation. Some people aren't so lucky.

When they told me I had cancer, I thought that was the end, and I was scared. There's nothing you can do but face it and accept it.....and fight. I'd tell them to pray a lot. Fight and pray....that's the only thing you can do. I just told myself, if that's what I've got, then that's what I've got. What will be, will be. There's nothing else you can do about it. Fight and pray, that's what I did....and I'm still here! The Lord's been with me through it all and He kept me here for some reason. It's all up to the Lord.

If you had just one piece of advice to give someone, what would you say?Be true to yourself. By that I mean be yourself... love yourself. Believe in what you're doing and live while you've got the chance, I mean really live. Believe me, 100 years goes by fast! I wish I was 80 again. I was dancing and having a good time. I wouldn't do a thing different than I did. I enjoyed life to the hilt. I played golf; I went to church, and I danced and sang. I just loved life. Life is meant to be lived. Live it well.


Greta Heslet certainly lived life well. In the 1920's, Greta sang with famed jazz conductor Jean Goldkette and his orchestra. She was also a part of two popular female singing trios, Three Shades of Blue, and Wynken Blynken and Nod. She recorded six record albums, starred in the widely seen short film “Wildflowers” and was named one of the top female jazz singers of all time. At age 102, she was believed to be the oldest recording artist alive, has had a play written about her life, and her music is still available on Amazon.com.

At the end of our interview as Greta was walking me out, old man was playing the piano in the nursing home lobby. Greta's face lit up and she asked me to dance with her. Of course I accepted; How could I refuse such a lady? While we danced and laughed, other residents sat in wheelchairs, smiling, laughing and clapping. Though they were no longer able to dance, their faces were filled with the joy and memories of days gone by. It was a beautiful sight. That's what Greta did; she filled people with joy. Thank you for the dance Greta, it was my pleasure.

You can hear Greta sing on several of her albums at the links below. I promise it will bring a smile to your face.





Life is meant to be lived. Live it well.
Greta Heslet, 102

No comments:

Post a Comment